Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Creature of Habit

One of the things that I have to come to notice as I begin to write more and more is that my ability to write decent stuff, or at least my ability to really get into what I'm writing depends rather heavily on the fulfilment of a number of personal habits and/or quirks.

The best example of this that I can think of is that, unless a really good idea takes me and I need to write there and then, I typically prefer to do my writing at night. That is not to say that I can't do it during the day, just that it I typically find it easier to get in the groove once sun is down and I'm alone and everybody else has wandered off to do their own thing.

In the past I have swayed between whether this is a good or bad thing - as there seems to be arguments for both, i.e. on one side there is the view that you should embrace the your own little quirks as, one could say, are what makes you you. On the other hand you could a so say that this only will only lead to stagnation and that the 'quirk/habit' is something that you can work through with a little effort and once you do you will be more productive for it.

Typically I've felt that the right answer lies somewhere in the middle, but the last month and a bit have messed with that a little bit as I've realised that if my habits get thrown about then things can sort of fizzle out - re: the lack of story posts and the dozen or so unfinished stories sitting on my desktop.

I will not go into the reasons - they are not personal (not depressed, actually feel really good) they have just been unavoidable and oppressive.

Anyway, for some reason I still seem to be quite capable of writing non-fiction so I figure I'll just keep with that until I get the spark back as it seems to be a little more constructive.

With that in mind I was going to write a little more on the whole habits = good/bad/? as I’ve been thinking about it a bit lately, but I'm about to head out the door so I'll save that for next time.

Also, perfectly all right if this post comes off as slightly disjointed/nutty - mostly me working through internal monologue shit in writing form - will probably give it a bit of an edit once I get the chance so that it makes more sense.


Anyhow, take care peoples.



M.

No comments:

Post a Comment