Thursday, February 17, 2011

A New World Next Door

I'm afraid to say that over last few months I've found that my motivation to write has been somewhat diminished, even though new ideas have still been coming thick and fast.

This seemingly has contributed to my lack of inspiration - I will start on something, it will progress for a while and then I will think of something else, something that in the moment seems somehow better and so the first story or idea will end up being put aside (aka the giant folder on my laptop where all my writing stuff ends up - many of the files within contain single sentences and half formed ideas)with the intention that it be picked up at a later date. Unfortunately most of the time this doesn't happen.

Of course it is all well and good acknowledging these issues, but it doesn't really do anything to address the problem. I do however have a number of ideas that just might.

Firstly it goes without saying that if this really what I want to do I need to stop bitching and just write; and to write and work at something long enough for me to actually get something out of it (i.e. at the moment I am far from happy with my ability to write dialogue - so I’m going to try to insert much more into stories - criticism and advice are incredibly welcome).

Secondly I think I not only need to start updating with some sort regularity (duh) I also think that I should start updating into different categories -

i.e.

-continued works - like the chunks of exile/Cryo that have featured in my last few posts-

- past works - old stories, stuff already written etc.

- random stuff, half finished, ideas etc.

- requests (I think this is important - please ask for stuff if you’re so inclined - it doesn't have to be serious, it doesn't have to be anything, just ask)

- folder work - stuff that I have put aside - might mix this with requests by putting up screenshots of the folder, or descriptions of a few at a time or something).

-----

Finally, yes I acknowledge that I have just listed almost as many categories for posts as I have published posts so far and that the request thing may not work considering that my readership sits at 2/3, but frankly I don't want this blog to die and I've gotten sick of my own excuses and sitting around doing uninteresting things, so I figured I needed to write something, even if that something was self chastisement (even though I generally hate that sort of stuff in blogs).

Anyways, that's the end of my rant and of this post (I started it because I couldn't sleep and now not sleeping has caught up with me).

There will be a story up tomorrow*

*(It's almost finished - but if I delay putting up this post until it's done, I may reconsider the contents of the post).


M

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Now fucking write.
    Requests? I want a pirate story. No joke. Proper swashbuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. write one of your stories as the script of a play, surely better at practicing more realistic dialogue?
    Also might be a nice change in writing style...

    ReplyDelete